All exterior projects (projects that will visibly affect the outward appearance of the property) must be submitted to the Brighton at Mill Creek Architectural Control Committee (ACC) for approval in advance of beginning the work.

The Covenants allow the Association Review Committee a full thirty (30) days to process requests. We understand that can be viewed to be a long time and the committee works hard to make sure that all requests are processed and you receive an answer within a week or two of submitting. The additional time allows the Committee to request and you to properly answer any questions they may have before any work commences.

All exterior work (including, but not limited to, exterior painting, roof replacement, fences, arbors, storage sheds, playhouses, gazebos, satellite dishes, lighting, and significant landscaping) requires approval by the Brighton at Mill Creek Architectural Control Committee prior to the commencement of any work.

For all rules and regulations for Brighton at Mill Creek, please review the Rules and Regulations document.

The Board of Directors has adopted policies to provide guidance on some of the more common projects and requests to the Architectural Control Committee, including examples of materials and styles that have been approved in the past.

Roofing Policy

Approved roofing material must be:

Cedar shake or thick asphalt shingle intended to replicate the appearance of shake.
A shade of brown, a shade of grey, or a variegated charcoal black. Other colors or materials will not be approved.

The following brands and styles of thick asphalt shingle are pre-approved (Project approval is still required in advance):

Certainteed Presidential Shake TL
Pabco Paramount Advantage
Owens Corning Woodmoor
GAF Grand Canyon

The following brands and styles of thick asphalt shingle will NOT be approved:

  • Certainteed Landmark TL
  • Certainteed Presidental Shake
  • Certainteed Presidental Shake IR
  • Pabco Paramount
  • Owens Corning Woodcrest
  • GAF Grand Sequoia

For more information, please see: Roofing Policy

Satellite Dish Location Guidelines

All satellite dishes less than one meter (39.37 inches, 99% of dishes are of this size or smaller) in diameter shall be placed in a location not visible from the street, unless no such locations with adequate reception are reasonably available on the property. Preferred locations include the upper portion of the rear third of the sides or roof of the house and the upper wall or roof of the rear of the house. Satellite dishes located in these areas do not require prior approval by the Association board.

If the satellite dish location in the above areas does not provide reception of an acceptable quality signal, the homeowner is requested to notify the Association board for review of an alternative location.

Satellite dishes greater than one meter (39.37 inches) in diameter require prior approval from the Association board, and such approval will only be granted under exceptional circumstances.

Remember that if you have a second or third that is no longer in use that the provider puts the responsibility of removal and disposal on the homeowner. If you have any dishes that are no longer in use they need to be removed. The dishes can be recycled at any local recycling or e-waste location.

For more information, please see: Satellite Dish Location Guidelines

Right-of-Way and Street Tree Policy

All public right-of-ways, typically the area between the curb or pavement edge, sidewalk,  and back of sidewalk, shall be maintained by the abutting property owner and shall be:

  • Kept free of litter, debris, intrusive vegetation, weeds and obstructions
  • Maintained in a clean, neat, orderly fashion
  • Maintained so that all trees, plants, shrubs and vegetation are continually trimmed and do not intrude into or overhang any portion of (1) sidewalk to a height of seven feet above the sidewalk surface, and (2) the road to a height of 14 feet above the road surface
  • Maintained so that trees, plants, shrubs and vegetation are continually trimmed and (1) do not obstruct or obscure any traffic control device, and (2) do not intrude into a three-foot radius around any fire hydrant above a height of six inches from the ground surface

These are rules that follow City of Mill Creek ordinances and Brighton of Mill Creek CC&R’s.

Brighton at Mill Creek Homeowners Association accepts responsibility for the removal and replacement of street trees with authorization from the City of Mill Creek in order to maintain the number of street trees as required by the City Design Review Board and plat approved landscape plans.

For more information, please see: Street Tree and Right-of-Way Maintenance Policy

Fence Policy

Homeowners planning a new or replacement fence must submit a Project Approval Form to Washington Business Services. Homeowners who will use one of the pre-approved fence styles must indicate on their request which fence style they plan to use. If the desired style is not shown, the homeowner must include on their request a detail or picture of the proposed design they wish to use. For all new fences, the request must include a site plan showing the fence location in addition to the proposed fence style. Note, new fences also require a City of Mill Creek permit prior to construction. Call 425-921-7502 for permit information.

For more information and pictures of pre-approved fence styles, please see: Fence Policy

Enforcement Policy with Fine and Fee Schedule

All Lots and residents within Brighton at Mill Creek Homeowners Association (the “Association”) are subject to the Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions recorded on March 4, 1996 under Snohomish County Recording No. 96030040754, and any amendments thereto (“CC&Rs”), Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws and Rules and Regulations of the Association (together, the “Governing Documents”). Each owner, and their guests and tenants, is required to comply strictly with the Governing Documents as they may be amended from time to time by the Association. Failure to comply may result in the issuance of fines, actions to recover sums due for damages or injunctive relief, or both, maintainable by the Board of Directors (the “Board”) for the Association or by an aggrieved owner on their own against the party failing to comply. Owners are responsible for ensuring their tenants and guests comply with the Governing Documents.

For more information, please see: Enforcement Policy and Fee Schedule